Android Honeycomb & Xoom Info
To convert DVDs for use with the Xoom, use handbrake.
I initially tried the iPad settings. This produced video that played back OK on the PC but exhibited significant dropped frames on the Xoom.
A bit of research turned up some options.
These didn't work:
Modifying the handbrake "Normal" profile -- it worked pretty well but still a few dropped frames were (barely) noticeable.
- Using the "Apple TV" setting in Handbrake. Again, it worked a lot better than the iPad setting, but still some dropped frames.
Here is the approach that did work. I followed some instructions to start with the iPod Legacy profile and modify it for the Xoom. Though I didn't do exactly as it suggested. Here's what I did:
- Select iPod Legacy profile.
- Go to Picture Settings and check "Optimal for Source". Original instructions suggested setting it to 1280x720 or 1920x1080 for a 1080p source.
- Video should remain at h.264, framerate same as source, and average bit rate 2200.
- I didn't change anything in the audio tab. The instructions suggested setting samplerate to 48 kHz and bitrate to 160.
- Uncheck "large file size", "web optimized", and "iPod 5g support".
- Save this as a new preset for future reference.